Monday, July 6, 2009

Daunting ... but in a good way


Two weekends ago I shot with an amazing new model Oocelot. Over the July 4th holiday weekend I shot with Chad Glenn, who -- though he's only been in the physique modeling world for just a year -- has already been featured in the March 2009 Playgirl online as well as having shot with great photographers such as Dylan Rosser, Mark Jenkins, David Vance and Mark Henderson. I am now privileged to have been added to that esteemed group.


Working with Chad is incredibly productive. Even though I'm a slow shooter (too many years with expensive film -- I still frame and set almost every pose), we managed to create together over 1400 images in just a day and a half of working together. Additionally, we created twelve totally different looks and scenarios together. Of the 1400 images, I probably messed up 150 and Chad was even better. He hit the mark perfectly on all but 30 shots. Usually, in this business you're lucky if you get one or two good shots in a hundred.


That's the daunting part -- what do I throw onto the cutting room floor when so many are so good?


The differences between a "wow" shot that absolutely pops and a very good shot are subtle. It may be as slight as a hand placement or the twist in the torso. It's nearly impossible to predict or manage in the shoot process -- too many moving parts in the mix. Yet you know it when you see it.


Both Chad and Oocelot have notable design backgrounds, one in interior design, the other in graphic design. So they both have incredible eyes for detail, composition, color as well as overall impact.


One of the things I like to do with each model is to review the photos while they are still fresh. It allows us both to learn what works, what doesn't and to give feedback to each other. It's something that relatively few photographers do; but -- for me -- it's a critical element of my personal creative process -- giving and receiving feedback. Interestingly, in a very different way, it's my turn to get naked for the model. Whenever I'm looking at raw images prior to the edits I feel vulnerable. And to do it with people such as Oocelot and Chad who have such incredible eyes is, well, to use the word again -- daunting.


So it was with some sense of relief in the review process that I would hear the word "wow" in my ear just I said it myself. Ahh, sweet validation.


Now over the next few weeks comes two more daunting tasks: first, to select and edit only the best of the best; and second, to find more ways to market the images...ultimately, they need to pay for themselves.


One more shoot with Oocelot is planned for mid-July. Then in early August I'll be working with the incredible Nathan Lewis from the UK for three days. In the meantime, I'll keep you updated with some posts as I begin the editing process.


No comments:

Post a Comment