Thursday, July 2, 2009

Began the edits of my most recent shoot this evening


It was a long day at work; but I really wanted to begin the editing process for my latest shoot with Oocelot, an amazing new model currently living in North Miami Beach.


Selecting which photos are worth keeping is always the most difficult part of the editing process for me. They're like children -- each has its potential and its flaws -- and I'm reluctant to discard anything for fear that I may be missing something that others would enjoy. Yet, when you're looking at 400-500 images from an afternoon, you know that only a few are going to pop in the way that really grabs other folks' attention. So my mood shifts between ruthlessness and remorse in the selection process.


After that selection process is complete, the process of editing for me is pure joy. I think of photoshop as my darkroom. Once I have a concept for the image or a series, I start playing with different tools until I create something that is characteristic of "my look" while staying true to the intent of the shoot. I really dislike images that are photoshopped so much that they are parodies of themselves. There has to be integrity in the approach as well.


After I figure out the approach and the appropriate tools to achieve the look I'm going for, the rest is just about staying in the zone. I liken it to a Zen moment...totally immersed and totally present at the same time. And I usually stay with it until I physically drop -- which is what I'm about to do right now.


I spent so much time selecting just the first few score of images that I was only able to edit five from the hundreds that Oocelet and I did out at Boca Chica. But it's a good beginning I think.


More edits to come next week as I have a whole other shoot planned for the July 4th weekend with Chad Glenn. Some thoughts about planning and conducting a shoot in the next few posts. But for now I'm including one of the images that I believe I can safely publish here on the blog. Hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment